Saturday 15 December 2012

Assistive Technology 5173

I have learned so much since starting this class in the fall and found so much of it applicable to my own workplace. I    
work in a resource centre with some very high needs students so every time we learned to use a new app or another student in the class discussed an insight they had it helped all of us learn. 

One of the main topics discussed in the course is communication and how technology has allowed so many students to further develop their ability to communicate using technology. This course gave me the opportunity to use these apps, find new ones and then introduce them to my own students. My students are non-verbal, autistic and social stories are a large part of the way they communicate. In this course I learned to design and publish books. I have used book creator and comic life many times in the past few weeks to design social stories for students. I learned to use the proloquo2go app and have designed a similar app for one of my students which is his primary tool for communication. I learned how to create movies in iMovie and now have a student who enjoys making movies all the time. I have loaded new calming apps like Sand Play, music apps like Bloom and interactive apps like Tappie.  This course was a great learning experience and with assistive technology developing so quickly I intend to continue educating myself in this area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment